Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Kalu Asian restaurant & bar in uptown Charlotte, NC reviewed

I joined the Charlotte Hospitality Writers Club for an opportunity to taste the menu, at the all new,

KALU



- a hip, swank, Asian restaurant in downtown Charlotte.

Prepare to bow down to the Emperor on thine bended knees.  Owner, Chef Bryan Emperor, that is!  Now, I don't get too jazzed up about pretenders playing with Asian look-alike food.  Having lived in Asia for three years, and traveled it extensively, I believe I authentically know where the truth lies - and who is telling lies.

In Chef Emperor's cuisine... I found the truth.

Beautiful.

Luscious and tasty.

Amazing and exciting!

He rides horses at the full gallop, racing to please diners, and fires arrows from atop them - dead on the target.  Only those who practice Yabusame would know.  That is the first thing I noticed about KALU - it is lean, it is clean, it is designer chic - and when you order, your food will be amazing and deadly accurate.  If you like high-end Asian cuisine, like me, you will adore his authentic flavors and impossible to obtain ingredients.

Simply excellent.  Perfect.

Here is a Chef who can be called Emperor.

My meeting with him showed me that he knew how to bow, and also how to hold a person's business card.  These were things only learned in Asia, obviously.  Like learning several of their languages.  They mean a lot to me.  I once closed a favorable, 76 million dollar deal in Japan and Korea, because I knew how to bow and hold a business card.  Chef Emperor impressed me - as he knew how to act like a Japanese professional, and cook like an Asian Master.

His menu paper made me feel guilty for touching it.  It was so very nice to put my fingers on.  At one point I could not turn the page (since they are so new) and I dabbed my tongue with my index, to help turn.  It was at this point that guilt flooded my mind for having done so.  No detail is left to the winds of the temples at Kalu.  I did not commit seppuku, though, for this act - rather, my sins were lightened with the arrival of the Tori no Tatsuta Age (Japanese Style Chicken Wings) in a Daikon Sauce.  For $9.00, these were a reasonable and amazing dish (shown in the photo above) and delivered in a see-through tube.  As I began enjoying these treats - I soon forgot about how beautiful the menu is assembled with it's leather cover and silken papers.
Chef Emperor is extremely creative and our night of a three hour long dinner - was one feat after another.  One exciting and exhilarating dish - followed by the other.

Each time I tasted, I returned to Japan, Singapore, Guam, Hawaii, Okinawa, Polynesia - this Chef knows what he is doing, as one of the only few Masters living in Charlotte - if not, the only one.

His Hamachi Sashimi with White Truffle Oil and Fleur de Sel for $15 was unleashed in a bowl with a hidden light under crushed ice.  His red adorned Chefs in the back tendered a Pork Shiu Mai that was hot, and, hot with a dab of mustard!  Triple A+ Chefs.  Triple A.  You guys back there are unbelievably well oiled and peaceful within your mania - and shared work ethic.  My stop into the kitchen showed me the Samurai mania of intensely focused artisans - awaiting only the orders to kill with passion.

And our table of Chefs must have died six or seven times under the eyes of the Emperor that night...six or seven times.  An amazing dinner!

We did all feel that the music was pulsating, invigorating and trendy, but could be turned down a notch.  Our only recommendation.  When you arrive at Kalu, before getting out in the parking lot across the street (which is huge and spacious), find the meter booth, pay and get your ticket, and then go park.  The secret to Kalu is to NOT park, and then walk a half mile to pay your bill, and get a ticket.  Remember, this is a secret to having a good time at Kalu.  Remember...

There is no dessert served at Kalu - so feel free to order several items from the entire menu - and gorge fest, you will never feel sorry.  Enjoy the Japanese Anime on the flat screens all over, the temple upstairs, the lush seating and, "happening," artwork looking down at glowing bars that pulsate with colors of the mind.  Amaze yourself with arrival in the daylight - and transcend hypnosis, into the night, as it gets dark - the interior of Kalu comes alive with it's ball lights.  You will find yourself in a different world.  Order an Iron Pot tea in black!  Here is a place to LIVE and feel ALIVE!

Kalu is extremely reasonable in it's prices.  An amazing fact - you can enjoy yourself easily for less than $60.00 per couple, on a fine dinner, birthday, night out or anniversary.  Yet, they offer specialty items if you desire to spend more - like Cristal Champagne by Louis Roederer for $500.00 or Opus One for $400.00.
If you are looking to have a great dining experience, try the Harami Wasabi Wagyu Skirt Steak served on a piping hot black rock.  The shimmering rock is put down onto your table and you can continue to cook your own steak on the polished rock!

Kalu and it's Emperor await you.  Do not keep a seated Emperor waiting...

Kalu Asian Kitchen & Bar
505 E 6th Street at North Caldwell
"Uptown Charlotte"
Charlotte, NC 28202
(704) 910-4877
Assistant GM - Brandy Harter
GM and Executive Chef - Bryan Emperor

No comments:

Post a Comment